VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY
College of Humanities and Sciences
About the school
Established in 1966, the College of Humanities and Sciences has since undergone mammoth changes to become the institution it is today. The College dedicates itself to solving society's most pressing challenges. Located in Richmond, Virginia, the Campus has a welcoming environment and promotes a diverse and inclusive student community.
The College takes pride in its distinguished alumni who uphold the reputation of the Institution. Some of the notable personalities who graduated from the College of Humanities and Sciences are NFL trainer Jerome Reif, author Rachel Beanland, novelist David Baldacci, and many more.
The US News and World Report ranks Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) among the 30 most innovative public universities.
Location of the School
This exceptional institution is located in Richmond.
Life at the College of Humanities and Sciences
International students step into a welcoming environment on the Campus, and the College of Humanities and Sciences greatly values the diversity they bring. The Global Education Office ensures student visas are made easier, and students find the communities they best fit.
The Housing Accommodation Request Committee allots residential units for every student based on the request made. On-campus accommodations vary between traditional, suite or apartment-style residences. Laundry facilities, WiFi, etc., are part of the experience. There is an Off-Campus Housing Website where students can search for rentals near the College campus. VCUDine offers several meal plans for students, and with that, they can dine at 22 different locations, including Panda Express, Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, an all-you-care-to-eat dining hall, etc.
The University operates shuttle services like RamRide, RamSafe and RamCharter to different locations within the campus. Students have free access to the charter services and GRTC network covering every University location.
The VUC RecWell programme promotes fitness among students. With a RecWell membership, they can access the Cary Street Gym, Cary Street Field, MCV Campus Recreation Center, Thalhimer Tennis Center and many other facilities.
Additional Benefits of Studying at the College of Humanities and Sciences
The new CHS STEM building on the Monroe Park Campus provides several study resources for the students of the College of Humanities and Sciences. The students can access the instructional and study spaces that are the centres of an interdisciplinary science community. The College offers several funded student research opportunities, and these studies enable students to develop several technical skills.
90°F (32°C) in summers and 28°F (-2°C) in winters
Richmond International Airport, Williamsburg International Airport
Eastern Daylight Time (GMT-4)
- The total student enrolment number is around 28 000
- The undergraduates make up roughly 21 000
- There are around 5 600 graduates
- International students make up around 1000 -There are 211 000 living alumni and counting
Admission requirements and fees vary for different courses. A general set of admission criteria for international graduate applicants is as follows:
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Original or officially certified copies of all grade reports for all secondary and higher school studies
- Original or officially certified copies of academic certificates, diplomas, and national or other significant examination results
- Transcripts not in English must be submitted with an official English translation
- Personal statement
- Proof of English language proficiency is required:
- TOEFL: 80 - IBT; 8.5 essential
- IELTS: 6.5 overall score
- Pearson Test: 65
- Duolingo: minimum 120
- Some programmes may require a GRE or GMAT score
- 3 letters of recommendation from instructors or supervisors
- Proof of adequate funds to live and study full-time at VCU: Submit the I-20 Request Form, along with a bank verification letter
For information on tuition and costs, visit the university website.
The VCU Career Services portal lists internships, part-time, and full-time job opportunities available for graduates.
- The Handshake platform facilitates student and alumni networking
- The Student Opportunity Centre helps students find internships
- The Parker Dewey platform allows students to find micro-internships and project-based opportunities in great organizations
- The Goin Global website lists all international internship opportunities
- Graduating students are encouraged to meet their career advisors to get the ball rolling
- The VCU Federal Work-Study Hiring Event, Destination Beyond, VCU P.R.I.M.E Day, etc., are some career fairs organized on-campus to help students find opportunities after college
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from Virginia Commonwealth University - College of Humanities and Sciences
Last updated: 11 Oct 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to email@example.com.