UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY
College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences
About the school
The College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences (CNMS) was established in 2005 when the University of Maryland Baltimore County’s (UMBC) long-standing College of Arts and Sciences was reorganised into the CNMS as the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. The college is recognised and respected as a premier research college with a diverse and dynamic network of faculty and staff. The curriculum and educational approach are directed towards a collaborative extension of the boundaries of science and teaching and learning in STEM. CNMS currently offers 14 graduate programmes and administers nearly half of the doctoral programmes at UMBC. The institute motivates all students to work with faculty mentors as dedicated researchers and initiate interdisciplinary collaboration. This allows them to maximise their abilities and identify programmes best suited to their interests.
Where is the School Located?
The College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences is located in Baltimore, Maryland. Here are the campus location details:
Life at the College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences
Students can join any of the four CNMS Graduate Student Organisations that support UMBC graduate students and encourage them to meet regularly. They can also join the Graduate Student Association of Biological Sciences, the Chemistry Graduate Student Association, the Mathematics and Statistics Graduate Student Association, or the Physics Graduate Student Association. Each year, UMBC hosts many events and activities for its students. From sunrise to sunset, the UMBC campus hums with activity, from the library to the lab and Academic Row to the basketball court. The college provides on-campus and off-campus residential opportunities, as well as Commons, UMBC’s one-stop student centre, featuring a food court, restaurants, a full-service bank, a bookstore, performance spaces, and a game room. The Commons Terrace overlooks the Olympic-size pool and is a popular student hang-out when the weather turns warm.
Additional Benefits of Studying at the College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences
- Vibrant Campus Life: UMBC is an exciting place to be, with hundreds of ways to connect. Students can take advantage of several activities and services such as sporting events and performances at Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena. Other notable activities include recreational facilities at RAC, study time at Albin O. Kuhn Library, or a visit to the Library Gallery. The Performing Arts and Humanities Building and the Earl and Darielle Linehan Concert Hall are sites of professional and student performances, distinguished lectures, and other events.
- Engaging Extracurricular Events: Venues such as the Dance Cube, the Black Box Theatre, the Music Box, and the Centre for Art, Design and Visual Culture host dance performances throughout the year and are also used for teaching, research, and special events. The school hosts student-organised live events, movie nights, visual and performing arts exhibits, athletic games, and more. Students can also display their passion for sports and play tournaments in swimming and diving, basketball, and soccer.
Northern United States
Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
Eastern Time Zone (GMT -4)
- Awarded $1 million in grants from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation to support promising STEM students with financial need
- Recognised among the Best in the nation on five separate lists across a broad range of scientific fields: biology, chemistry, maths, physics, and statistics
- U.S. News honours programmes from UMBC’s College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences (CNMS) among the top 55 institutions
CNMS at UMBC is in the top tier of academic institutes internationally, with state-of-the-art facilities and world-class faculty. Applying to CNMS graduate programmes online as a degree-seeking, non-degree-seeking, or certificate student is easy, safe, and secure. Applicants need to provide the following information: - GPA - Official Transcripts - Standardised Tests (GRE) - Language Test - Transfer Credits As an international student at UMBC, you’ll find an inclusive and welcoming student-centred learning environment and campus culture. It’s recommended that international students submit application documents as early as possible. - An English proficiency test is required for most international students. The Graduate School at UMBC accepts TOEFL, DuoLingo (most programmes), IELTS, and Pearson PTEA.
The UMBC Career Centre aims to empower all students and graduates to create their own success stories. - Comprehensive Career Resources: Students have access to various career-promoting resources like Handshake where students post resumes; Calendar, provides complete list of events; Retrievers Connect, a Student/Alumni Networking Platform for UMBC students and alumni; Career Guide, written and updated by the staff and is a complete guide to students’ career success; Focus 2, a self-assessment tool to help undecided students select a major, and all students research job titles related to their skills and interests. Additional resources include Big Interview, an online system (iOS and Android app available too) that combines training and practice to help improve interview technique and build confidence. Firsthand is a premier destination for company rankings, industry guide books, career articles, tips and more. GoinGlobal provides students with information they need for a successful job or internship search in the top employment markets around the globe. - Extensive Skills Development Training: Other services include career counselling and advising, resume writing, event information, mock interviews, networking and recruiting events, jobs, and internships.
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from University of Maryland Baltimore County - College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences
Last updated: 22 Dec 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at email@example.com. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.