UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
Department of Computer Science
About the school
Established in 1983, the Department of Computer Science at the University of Chicago is among the best in computer science education and research in the nation. Its reputation, which places it among the world's best institutions, is based on a long history of excellence. According to U.S. News & World Report's rankings for graduate programme schools, the Department of Computer Science at the University of Chicago is ranked 24th in computer science. Founded in 1890, the University of Chicago’s dedication to innovation is evidenced by hiring 37 award-winning faculty members since 2017 with great expertise in data science, security, and artificial intelligence. The institute emphasises the importance of collaboration and cross-fertilisation across these domains, enriching research and academic pursuits. Some of the most notable alumni of the university include Leslie Jones-Dove and Devshi Mehrotra (co-founders of JusticeText), who received a spot on Forbes’ 30 under 30 list in 2021.
Where is the school located?
The University of Chicago campus is nestled in the thriving metropolis of Chicago, a city famed for its multicultural environment that is friendly to international students. Chicago is an excellent option for students pursuing education abroad due to its renowned colleges, vibrant cultural environment, and extensive support services. ### Life at the Department of Computer Science Life at the department of computer science is a perfect blend of academic excellence and community support. The University of Chicago has seven residence halls housing 48 Houses, each with around 80 students from various backgrounds. These Houses boast their own customs, councils, and resident staff, and they actively promote a sense of community through regular events, activities, and city tours. Dining options are plentiful, ranging from on-campus dining halls to nearby restaurants and cafes. Most students opt for meal plans, ensuring a variety of nutritious and delicious options. The campus is aesthetically pleasing, highlighted by the Main Quad - a hub for intellectual exploration and social interaction. Beyond academics, students have ample opportunities to engage in sports, the arts, and various clubs. The Graduate Student Leadership Initiative encompasses several crucial responsibilities that facilitate student involvement and representation, including the Prime Minister, a vital link between students and educators, responsible for managing various concerns; Graduate Matters Ministers, who have specialised roles with specific responsibilities; the Inclusion minister who is an advocate for underrepresented groups within and outside the department; and International Affairs, who advocates for international students and addresses their concerns.
Additional benefits of studying at the Department of Computer Science
- Top-tier Education: The Department of Computer Science is a research-focused institution dedicated to advancing computer science. It provides a wide range of study fields, encouraging interdisciplinary research. Students gain from this by accessing advanced knowledge and having the opportunity to do ground-breaking research, preparing them for a fast-changing digital world.
- Hands-on Research Projects: The Department of Computer Science offers a contemporary, collaborative research hub in the John Crerar Library Building. This leading-edge space promotes cross-disciplinary collaboration, supports experimental research, and offers resources for graduate students in various technical domains. The building also comprises the prestigious Data Science Institute, the Computer Science Instructional Laboratory, and the Media Arts, Data, and Design Centre, all of which support the university's innovative agenda of technical excellence.
Northeastern United States
O'Hare International Airport
Central Standard Time (GMT -5) ### Life at the Department of Computer Science Life at the department of computer science is a perfect blend of academic excellence and community support. The University of Chicago has seven residence halls housing 48 Houses, each with around 80 students from various backgrounds. These Houses boast their own customs, councils, and resident staff, and they actively promote a sense of community through regular events, activities, and city tours. Dining options are plentiful, ranging from on-campus dining halls to nearby restaurants and cafes. Most students opt for meal plans, ensuring a variety of nutritious and delicious options. The campus is aesthetically pleasing, highlighted by the Main Quad
- Public Research University
- Graduate students enrolled: 10,459
- International students: 24% of total students
- Countries represented: 100+
- Alumni: 193,885
- Nobel laureates affiliated with the university: 97
To secure an admission in University of Chicago - Department of Computer Science for a graduate degree programme, applicants need to meet the following criteria: - Official transcripts from all institutions attended, reflecting previous undergraduate and any relevant postgraduate coursework - Statement of purpose - 3 letters of recommendation (academic or professional) - GRE/GMAT scores (if applicable) - English proficiency - TOEFL or IELTS scores (for international students). (TOEFL -100; IELTS - 7) - Resume/CV - Essay questions
Fees and other expenses
The information provided below roughly outlines the potential expenses the students can incur while attending the college. - Health service/health insurance: $5,000 (approx) - Cost of books/course materials: $2,300 (approx) - Food and other expenses, including housing: $27,000 (approx) - Transportation: $3,500 (approx) - Misc. expenses: $4,200 (approx) Please consult the school’s necessary admissions and financial aid websites for detailed information and any updates to this information.
- Career-Focused Education: To assist students in finding job prospects and landing their dream jobs, University of Chicago - Department of Computer Science provides a variety of resources and support:
- CS Job Board: The department manages an exclusive job board where companies can advertise internships and full-time positions directly to the institute’s students. Along with sections for full-time positions, the employment portal also offers sections for freelance work and entrepreneurial opportunities.
- Tech Talks: The department conducts tech presentations from companies looking to hire CS students. In the past, Chicago-based small businesses and tech giants like Google, Facebook, and Uber have all presented speeches on tech-related topics here. These discussions occur throughout the year, but most of them occur in autumn, when companies recruit the most.
- UChicagoGRAD: This office serves as the hub for valuable graduate student resources within the college, including support for career development.
- Career Advice Sessions: To help students with their career search, the department and Career Advancement offer joint events all throughout the year. The primary sessions are held at the beginning of the quarter: one for first-year, second-year, and third-year students to offer guidance on looking for internships, and one for fourth-year students to focus on full-time employment.
- Graduate School Resources: The Physical Sciences Division offers a one-day course called "Graduate School Exploration" every autumn, which focuses largely on career exploration.
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from University of Chicago - Department of Computer Science
Last updated: 10 Nov 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to email@example.com.