UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA AT BIRMINGHAM
College of Arts and Sciences
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) has a rich history that dates back to 1859. It is the only public, 4-year degree-granting University and the largest research institution and employer in Alabama.
The College of Arts and Science (CAS) has 19 departments offering more than 40 degree courses, making it the biggest among UAB colleges.
For 2022-2023, U.S. News & World Report ranks the University 137th among national universities category, 64th among top public schools, and 195th in Best Value Schools.
CAS alumni are all professionally accomplished, and some include Elizabeth Hendrix (Fiscal Service Bureau, US Treasury), Taylor Byas (celebrity poet/author), and Dr Leigh Willis (behavioural scientist, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
Birmingham is the only place in the world where all the iron-making ingredients—coal, iron ore, and limestone—are found within a 16-km radius. Living expenses in the city are 14% lower than the national average. Birmingham offers all the entertainment options and attractions that world-class cities do.
What courses can you opt for at the UAB - College of Arts and Sciences?
The following are the courses you can pursue at the College of Arts and Sciences:
- MS in Biology
- MS in Chemistry
- MS in Physics
- IMP in Computer Science
- IMP in Cyber Security
- MS in Cyber Security
- MS in Data Science
- MS in Computer Science
- IMP in Data Science
- MS in Mathematics
How to secure admission at the UAB - College of Arts and Sciences
- Application fee: $60
- Mean TOEFL score: 80
- Average UG GPA: 3.00
- Recommendations: 3 letters of recommendation.
- Language eligibility test: TOEFL, TOEFL Essentials, IELTS, PTEA, IELA, Duolingo
- Tuition fee: $28,860
- Health service/health insurance: UAB Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
- Books: $1,200
- Food: $4,820
- Transportation: $3,379
- Total annual cost of admission: $51,557
Scholarships for international students
- The UAB International Scholarship grants a yearly amount of $7,500 to eligible candidates applying for undergraduate students. Students must fulfil certain criteria to be automatically considered for this scholarship upon admission.
- UAB also offers scholarships such as IB, departmental, and performance scholarships. Students' information is shared with multiple departments across the campus for scholarship consideration.
Birmingham usually gets long and hot summers and short, cold, and wet winters. Temperatures typically vary from 2.2°C/36°F to 32.2°C/90°F.
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
Central Time Zone
Fast facts about the UAB - College of Arts and Sciences
- University enrolment numbers: 22,563
- Masters students: 8,685
- International students: 1,084
- International grad students: 696
- Countries represented: 45+
UAB - College of Arts and Sciences job placement
CAS has a placement rate of 82%, with a median salary of $52,510
- EY, Morgan Stanley, AmeriCorps, and other notable companies are among the top employers associated with the institution
- Online recruiter Handshake, which is accessible 24/7, enables students to search and apply for internships and jobs. Students can also RSVP for events, sign up for interviews, upload resumes and cover letters, connect with fellow students, and schedule appointments with career consultants
- The college also offers a work-study programme. This is a need-based federal financial aid programme that allows graduate students to work part-time and earn to assist with educational expenses. The programme encourages community service work and employment related to the student's field of study.
- The Office of Career & Professional Development organises career fairs tailored to students from diverse backgrounds, as well as smaller fairs focused on specific industries or fields of study. Examples include the All Majors Fair, Liberal Arts/Social Sciences Fair, and Healthcare - Career Day
- Students are encouraged to conduct informational interviews during their sophomore year, seeking 30 minutes of an industry professional's time to learn more about their desired profession. These interviews also serve as networking opportunities with potential employers
- Employer panels are organised on a regular basis, and students are advised to sign up for HireABlazer to stay informed about these opportunities
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from University of Alabama at Birmingham - College of Arts and Sciences
Last updated: 30 Nov 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to email@example.com.