College of Social Sciences and Humanities
About the school
The Northeastern University – College of Social Sciences and Humanities (CSSH) is a new-age liberal arts centre for students seeking experiential opportunities. Areas of focus include cultural transformations, globalisation, sustainability, information ethics, and network science. Here, students learn to tackle real-world problems with an innovative approach that uses service learning, cooperative (co-op) education programmes, cultural events, and research initiatives. The college offers 13 Master’s degree programmes, ranging from Criminal Justice, English, and Economics, to Urban Informatics, Security and Resilience Studies, and Public Administration. In Fall 2021, a total of 756 students enrolled for graduate programmes at CSSH.
Where is the school located?
The college offers a single but well-equipped and comfortable campus in Boston to pursue Master’s degree programmes under the guidance of experienced faculty members.
Life at College of Social Sciences and Humanities
At CSSH you can pursue different interests and connect with like-minded peers. The institution has more than 300 organisations and clubs, including cultural organisations, athletic clubs, or performing arts groups, to name a few. The campus also has dedicated support and resource centres for students with disabilities, international students, parents and families, and LGBTQA individuals. The school provides multiple housing options prioritising student convenience. For students who choose to live off-campus, the school provides support to find accommodation that suits their preferences and budget. There are multiple dining locations, both on-campus and off-campus. You can choose from a variety of meal plans or use the Husky Card at popular food chains and cafes.
Additional benefits of studying at College of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Programme Flexibility: CSSH offers 10 graduate certificates as well as PlusOne programmes that help you obtain an accelerated Master’s degree.
- Practical Experience: Study Abroad, and Dialogues of Civilisation Programme offer real-world exposure.
- International Student Support: Multiple services are offered to multilingual and international students such as listening and speaking classes, one-on-one tutoring, and workshops that focus on social, cultural, academic, and professional success. Peer mentoring programmes help new students to get acclimated with Boston’s culture, campus, and academics.
- Financial Assistance: A variety of fellowships, scholarships, grants, and excellence awards are offered by the college too.
Northeast United States
Boston Logan International Airport (BOS), Manchester Regional Airport (MHT)
Eastern Standard Time (GMT-4)
- More than 160 tenure-track and tenured faculty members
- The Office of Global Services caters to over 18,000 international students from 146 countries
- The school offers the Double Husky, Full Circle, Fulbright, and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. scholarships
- The university conferred 5,854 Master’s degrees during 2020–21
- 2,82,143 university alumni members across 179 countries
Before applying to CSSH, make sure you research and plan in advance. Generally, applications require the following information: - Completed online application - Personal statement - Unofficial transcripts from all institutions you attended (in your native language as well as translated into English) - Resume/ CV - 3 letters of recommendation (1 for graduate certificates) - Writing samples for Criminology and Criminal Justice, History, and English - Unofficial copy of GRE General Exam scores
Fees and other expenses
Other costs which are not consistent throughout school admissions information online: - Cost per credit hour: $946 to $1,483 - Health plan: $2,725 - Cost of books: $450 (per semester) - Food and other expenses: $1,775 to $5,675 - Housing: $8,100 (per semester) - Transportation: $450 (per semester)
To check for updates and get more details on admission and financial aid, please check the college’s website. As an international student, you need to obtain the necessary visas and submit a completed health report within the stated deadline. International students must meet the following requirements additionally: - English proficiency minimum score range (might vary across programmes): TOEFL: 79–100, IELTS/PTE: 6.5–7.0, Duolingo: 105–120.
- Paid Internship Opportunities: CSSH has a powerful co-op ecosystem that allows students to engage in 6 months of paid work at government agencies, non-profit organisations, and businesses around the world. Students get to pick up real-life skills and receive placement offers as well. During 2020-21, 2,935 employers offered 7,764 placements to students from Northeastern University.
Strong Industry Links: Graduates with Master’s degree from CSSH have the opportunity to work for the following organisations: Vertex Pharmaceuticals; Indigo Agriculture; Office of the Attorney General of Massachusetts; Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority; Massachusetts Office of the Inspector General; Insurance Fraud Bureau of MA; CyberSheath Services International; LLC; UnitedHealth Group; and Fragomen Worldwide.
Extensive Hands-on Experience: Service learning is an academically intensive experience offered at the college to provide students with hands-on training and scope to apply course concepts to meet community needs.
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from Northeastern University - College of Social Sciences and Humanities
Last updated: 11 Oct 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to email@example.com.