School of Foreign Service
About the school
The School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University is one of the oldest and most prestigious schools in the world. SFS is a one-of-a-kind school and has a mission to educate students on global issues and prepare them for a life of service. The school has a diverse environment, and distinguished faculty who are experts in their respective fields. Due to the school's emphasis on excellence, students go on to become leaders in the private and public sector, while fostering a commitment to global citizenship and service.
SFS offers many graduate programmes such as Master of Science in Foreign Service, Master of Arts in Security Studies, Master of Arts in Global Human Development, and several others. All these programmes offer students advanced knowledge not only for the classroom but for also developing skills for the real-world. Additionally, the school hosts distinguished speakers and events to enrich the academic experience of its students.
Where is the school located?
The School of Foreign Service is situated at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. Here are the details about the school -
Life at School of Foreign Service
Students with a passion for international affairs, and who want to make a difference in the world will get the most out of an SFS education. This includes a highly respected faculty of esteemed scholars and practitioners, as well as distinguished alumni. Beyond the classroom, students have access to a wide range of experiences, such as lectures given by respected speakers, competitive internships, in both the public and private sectors, all which contribute greatly to their professional development. The location of the school also ensures that students enjoy the vibrant life of Washington, DC.
Additional benefits of studying at School of Foreign Service
SFS is well-known for its rigorous programmes in international affairs and diplomacy. There are many additional benefits of studying at this school, beyond its academic reputation. These benefits are -
Exciting Location: Washington, DC, is the hub of international politics and diplomacy. This allows students to get in touch with various government and private agencies and international organisations that offer unique networking benefits.
Wealth of Expertise: The faculty of the school includes professors who are experts in their respective fields, including international affairs, diplomacy, economics, and related fields.
Culturally Diverse: The SFS welcomes a diverse student body from around the world. The school has an environment where you can interact with peers from different cultures and backgrounds.
Networking Opportunities: A strong alumni network includes many prominent figures in the field of international relations and diplomacy.
Professional Opportunities: SFS offers unparalleled internship opportunities in government, international organisations, non-profits, and think tanks.
Real-world Experience: The SFS has several research centres and institutes dedicated to specific regions, issues, and topics within international affairs and diplomacy. It helps students to engage in events that are crucial for their academic and personal development.
Career services: The SFS hosts workshops, speaker series, and career development events that help students develop their professional skills.
Washington, D.C campus
Northwest Washington, D.C.
Northwest United States
Humid and subtropical
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
Eastern Time Zone (GMT-4)
- The school was founded in 1919 by Fr. Edmund A. Walsh, S.J
- Its mission is to educate students about global issues and diplomacy
- Has a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff from over 100 countries
- Offers eight master's programs for students
- Is the number one producer of Fulbright U.S. students
- Committed to actively promoting global anti-racism efforts
Generally, applications require the following information:
- A complete online form with personal details
- Resume/ curriculum vitae
- Academic statement of purpose
- Transcripts from previous schools
- Minimum 2 Letters of recommendation
- Standardised test scores, such as SAT or ACT
International students must meet the following additional requirements:
- Proof of English proficiency: You must obtain the minimum score in the following exams to be eligible- TOEFL Internet-Based exam: 100, IELTS: 6.5.
Please consult the college website for more details on admissions, financial aid, and other updates.
- Expert Career Guidance: SFS supports students to prepare for what’s next, both in and out of the classroom. Around 95% of SFS students complete internships in Washington, DC., with students typically completing an average of three internships. Thanks to SFS’s faculty’s real-life knowledge, they guide students, offer career advice, and facilitate connections.
- Diverse Career Support Options: When you become part of SFS, you also get access to the SFS Career Centre, which is available to alumni after graduation. This centre helps both students and SFS alumni enrolled in any of its eight SFS programmes. The support offered includes personal career advice, workshops to improve job search skills, a careers’ newsletter, and opportunities to connect with employers in specific fields.
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from Georgetown University - School of Foreign Service
Last updated: 11 Oct 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at email@example.com. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.