Georgetown University Medical Center
About the school
Georgetown University Medical Center is where education and innovation intersect in service of academic excellence and has established itself as the premier hub for health and scientific exploration in the United States. The school prioritises training only the brightest minds to become skilled doctors, nurses, and healthcare professionals, and fosters the talents of biomedical innovators.
From the deep roots of fundamental science to the practical applications that can transform lives, this academic health and science centre is ideally suited for aspiring healthcare professionals. Beyond cutting-edge labs and classrooms the school aims to positively impact students and the broader community.
Embarking on a journey with Georgetown University Medical Center presents boundless opportunities and advantages. Students can enjoy many benefits such as small group instruction, access to mentors, and diverse community connections.
Where is the school located?
The Georgetown University Medical Center is located in the city of Washington, D.C.
Life at Georgetown University Medical Center
Georgetown University Medical Center is more than just an academic institution; instead academic activities and personal life intertwine seamlessly within a vibrant community in the heart of Washington, D.C.
The campus, with diverse academic activities, interactive lectures, and hands-on labs, provides students with an intellectually stimulating environment to pursue their studies and engage with challenging subject matter. This environment is conducive to producing groundbreaking discoveries and collaborative projects that could shape the future of medicine. The institution prepares students for a successful medical career and a purposeful life dedicated to advancing healthcare and making a difference in the world.
Additional benefits of studying at Georgetown University Medical Center
Georgetown University Medical Center offers the following additional benefits.
- Modern Resources: Cutting-edge labs, advanced technology, and research facilities are provided to amplify the learning experience.
- Early Clinical eExperience: As a top-tier medical institutions in D.C., GUMC offers valuable clinical experience and potential networking opportunities.
- Global Focus: GUMC programmes enable impactful contributions to healthcare on a global scale.
- Leadership Development: The school provides all-round leadership skill development the advancement of the medical field.
- Alumni Network: The GUMC alumni is an influential network that offers mentorship and career advancement opportunities.
- Career Development: Innovative curriculum aims to advance the rapid growth of the medical field.
Georgetown University Medical Center campus
Central Eastern United States
Humid and Subtropical
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
Eastern Time Zone (GMT-4)
- Established in 1851 as part of Georgetown University, founded in 1789
- GUMC’s mission is to value the dignity of every student
- The school is committed to cultivating diversity and inclusion in medicine
- Over 400 scientists secured more than half of the university's external research funding
- Partners with private and public research partners all around the globe
Students looking to apply to Georgetown University Medical Center must meet the following admission criteria.
- Complete a personal information form.
- In possession of a bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) from an accredited institution prior to matriculation.
- A solid academic record showcasing proficiency in relevant subjects.
- Performance on standardized tests like the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test). Scores <125 are non-competitive.
- GPA >= 3.6 is highly competitive. GPA<3.0 is non-competitive
- Minimum of 1 committee letter or 2 individual letters of recommendation.
- Must meet the university's English proficiency standard.
- Pre-requisite courses and course Hours: Academic requirements for admissions to the School of Medicine include adequate preparation in physics, biology, chemistry, and mathematics. The following courses are required: General Biology: 1 year with lab (8 semester hours); General Chemistry: 1 year with lab (8 semester hours); Organic Chemistry: 1 year with lab (8 semester hours); Physics: 1 year with lab (8 semester hours); Mathematics (college-level): 1 semester; Calculus is not required; Statistics is acceptable.
- A valid MCAT score is required for ALL applications.
- Non-refundable application fee - $130
International students must meet the following additional requirements:
- Proof of English proficiency: You must obtain the minimum score in the following exams to be eligible- TOEFL Paper-Based exam: 550, TOEFL Internet-Based exam: 80, IELTS: 7.0.
Cost of Attendance (12 Months)
- Fees - $8053
- Food and Housing - $25,800
- Transportation - $5,700
- Health Insurance - $3,500
- Personal Expenses - $4,500
- Additional (Books, Study Materials, and supplies) - $1000
- Long-term Career Support: Georgetown University Medical Center (GUMC) master's graduates find diverse job opportunities. The school equips graduates for dynamic careers that address evolving challenges in the medical and healthcare landscape.
- Lucrative Career Prospects: Graduates step into roles such as research associates, healthcare administrators, public health specialists, clinical research coordinators, health educators, medical writers, genetic counsellors, and contributors to the biotechnology industry. The impact of these skills extends to healthcare consulting, global health initiatives, and more, significantly impacting academia, research, healthcare, and beyond.
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from Georgetown University - Georgetown University Medical Center
Last updated: 11 Oct 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to email@example.com.