FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY
College of Law
About the school
Studying law at schools in the U.S. can be a rewarding experience. Law schools provide rigorous classroom education, experiential learning, and various opportunities to help take your career to the next level in the legal arena. One top-tier school that provides world-class legal education and skills to its students is the College of Law at Florida State University. Rated among the best law schools in the country by Business Insider and U.S. News & World Report, it offers a range of academic and clinical programmes. In the 2023-2024 edition of the U.S. News & World Report, The College of Law ranked FSU 56th overall. In 2016, the school was ranked 37th in the country by "Above the Law" based on job placement success, low cost, and alumni satisfaction.
Where is the school located?
The College of Law is located in the capital of Florida – Tallahassee.
Life at the College of Law
The Florida State University College of Law offers a vibrant student life with various student organisations for students to get involved and develop skills in the legal arena. These organisations cover a range of interests, including professional, academic, and social organisations. Some of the organisations include:
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Black Law Students Association
- Business Law Society
- Environmental Law Society
- Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies
- International Law Students Association
- Public Interest Law Centre
- Women's Law Symposium
The College of Law also has journal and advocacy teams, such as the Florida State University Law Review, the Journal of Land Use & Environmental Law, and the Moot Court Team, all promoting excellence in written and oral advocacy.
Additional benefits of studying at the College of Law
The college is located in the heart of downtown Tallahassee, across the street from the Florida Supreme Court and one block from the Florida Capitol. This provides unique legal opportunities for students located in the state capital. In addition to offering rich academic experiences, the College of Law also caters to its students' health and wellness needs. It hosts various activities, including time management workshops, yoga classes, safety training, crockpot classes, therapy animal visits, painting classes, and more.
Southeastern region of the United States
Humid subtropical climate
Tallahassee International Airport
EDT from March-November and EST from November-March
- Ranked 2nd in the Best Online Masters In Legal Studies Programme
- Ranked 2nd in the Best Student Quality of Life
- Ranked 4th in the law schools for government careers
- Ranked 8th in the Bets Moot Court Programme
- The Black Law Students Association won 1st place in the National Constance Baker Motley Mock Trial Competition in 2022
- The Student Bar Association received the National Achievement Award in 2020, which honours the best SBA in the nation
The College of Law offers programs such as LL.M. in American Law for Foreign Lawyers, LL.M. in Business Law, and more. All programmes have general application guidelines along with varying prerequisites. You can find detailed and updated information on the school's website.
Students applying to the College of Law must follow the following procedure and submit specific materials and documents:
- Completed online application form with an application fee of approximately $30
- Official transcript from each law school attended
- Personal statement in 500 words or fewer explaining your interest in the programme
- 1 to 3 letters of recommendation (the number may vary depending on the programme)
- Writing sample of your best legal writing, if applicable, as per the programme
In addition to the above guidelines, international students from non-English speaking countries must submit English proficiency scores such as TOEFL or IELTS. International applicants will also need a student visa, proof of financial support, and other documents. You can visit the school website for further information.
The faculty, Career Services Office, and alums network at the College of Law all play a role in helping students strategise their job search process. The college has over 900 alums who have volunteered as career mentors. Moreover, it has an excellent track record of success in the legal job market, as evidenced by the following rankings:
- Ranked 1st law school for government careers by preLaw magazine in 2020
- Nearly 30% of graduates obtain jobs in government
- Ranked 7th in the U.S. for public defender or prosecutor jobs
- Ranked 7th among the nation's top 7 law schools for public policy
- Recognised as one of the best law schools for job placements by U.S. News & World Report, Moody's, and The Wall Street Journal
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from Florida State University - College of Law
Last updated: 26 Oct 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at email@example.com. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.