CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
Mellon College of Science
About the school
Andrew Carnegie, a famous American industrialist, established the renowned Carnegie Mellon University in 1900. The CMU-Mellon College of Science is the foundation of scientific success and a lively institute for energetic collaboration. It offers comprehensive education in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Mathematical Sciences, and Physics. CMU-Mellon College of Science alumni and faculty members are credited with inventing Kevlar® material and the CyDyesTM process. In keeping with its reputation for innovative breakthroughs, the Mellon College of Science is currently in the process of building the world's first academic cloud lab. This is managed by the school’s alumni and aims to nurture a reliable and science-accessible environment restricted only by concepts.
Where is the school located?
The CMU-Mellon College of Science stands on the premises of Carnegie Mellon University, 4400 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.
Life at Mellon College of Science
The educational experience at Carnegie Mellon University encompasses every facet of a student's life. Students are encouraged to follow their passions and interests, whether it’s on the sports field or the stage. All parts of students' development is supported, including their social, physical, mental, and spiritual welfare, ensuring they flourish in all aspects. The school has multiple student organisations; their events not only contribute to a lively events calendar, but also foster community engagement, and help students develop their communication, organisational and leadership skills.
Additional benefits of studying at Mellon College of Science
- Educational Experiences: Studying at the Mellon College of Science offers Master's students a range of distinctive advantages. These include the Study Abroad programme and the StuCo (Student College) programme which helps students share their knowledge through educational, self-designed courses.
- Student Support: The University Health Services provides high-quality health care to all students. Other support facilities are the Centre for Student Diversity and Inclusion, and the Office of Disability Resources. The school also offers Civic Engagement activities for students to help them connect with peers that share similar interests.
- Student Engagement: The Leonard Gelfand Centre helps students access service learning and outreach opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Bodies like the Graduate Student Assembly (GSA) comprise student representatives who work in the interest of all students.
Mellon College of Science campus
Northeastern United States
Pittsburgh International Airport
Eastern Standard Time (GMT-4)
- The material used in protective vests, Kevlar®, was created by MCS alumni Stephanie Kwolek in 1946
- Professor Krzysztof Matyjaszewski invented atom transfer radical polymerisation, which improved the process of plastic production
- Professor Alan Waggoner invented the CyDye(TM) fluorescent dye labelling technologies that significantly influenced biomedical research
- 10 Nobel Laureates (17 for the entire university)
- 50+ Distinguished Honors and Awards — National and International (Faculty Awards - Faculty Research Honours) -20+ Early Career Awards Faculty Awards - Faculty Research Honours) -The Mellon Institutes were featured as a backdrop in several movies, such as George Romero’s Monkey Shines, Hoffa, Lorenzo's Oil, The Mothman Prophecies, and The Dark Knight Rises.
Students must apply online by first registering on the institute's website. The following are necessary: - Graduation from a recognised four-year college, university, or technology institute or earned credentials equivalent to the degree. - A transcript copy from all the educational institutes attended by the students. Uploading a copy is allowed in case of no degree. - 3 letters of recommendation from professional references. One letter from the last institute attended by the student. - GRE General or GRE Subject Test scores are welcome if available but not mandatory. - Student must satisfactorily complete at least 96 course units with a B average (GPA of 3.0) -Minimum 48 course units of graduate courses (700 level) in physics - 48 units of graduate or advanced undergraduate courses (300, 400 or 600 level) in physics - Maximum 12 units of advanced physics laboratory or similar course units are acceptable. - Students must fulfil the conditions of a full-time student for one year. -Students need to take all 96 units when enrolled at CMU. - The university does not consider any other course at CMU for an M.S. in Physics degree. - Research or language requirements are not needed for an M.S. degree. - Students need to submit a 1 to 2-page statement of purpose stating their previous experiences and studies, along with faculty references. - Financial aid is available to students enrolling in Ph.D. programmes in Physics after two years of coursework. However, the institute may provide financial aid to students enrolled for only an M.S. (Master of Science) degree in Physics as an exceptional case. -Students must furnish a TOEFL or IELTS document showcasing language proficiency.
- Supportive Career Training: The institute’s Career and Professional Development Centre assists students secure internships and full-time jobs. It also guides them with networking, and evaluating and negotiating job offers, as well as interview preparations.
- Lucrative Professional Prospects: The school had a 75% job placement rate from 2019 to 2022. The top employers include Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple, and Microsoft, among others. The reported salary packages range from $20,000 to $300,000, averaging at $108,263.
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from Carnegie Mellon University - Mellon College of Science
Last updated: 10 Nov 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to email@example.com.