CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
Department of Statistics
About the school
The Carnegie Mellon University’s Statistics and Data Science department is a part of Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences (founded in 1969) and is renowned for its cutting-edge Master’s and PhD programmes. The department is focused on interdisciplinary and collaborative research with over 50 faculty members and more than 100 graduate students. You will get the opportunity to be a part of work that contributes significantly to fields such as finance, genetics, neuroscience, and cosmology. The department not only enhances your knowledge of statistical practice and methods, but also fosters workplace and data analysis skills to prepare you for a promising career in marketing, business, government, or scientific research.
Where is the school located?
The Statistics and Data Science department is situated in Pittsburgh, a city in Pennsylvania, surrounded by cultural centres, gardens, and stadiums.
Life at the Department of Statistics
As a graduate student in the Statistics and Data Science Department, you can look forward to a true Carnegie Mellon experience on campus. From complimentary fitness classes, meditation and relaxation spaces, to psychological counselling facilities and networking opportunities, a new world awaits you. With more than 400 student organisations to choose from, whether you are interested in sports, art, technology, or spirituality. You can also participate in campus events, leadership workshops, and community service initiatives.
As far as housing is concerned, students have the option to choose from multiple off-campus options in neighbourhoods such as Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, and Oakland. The university website helps students to secure accommodation, access legal services, and communicate with landlords, and more. The university also offers safe shuttle services to make sure you reach the campus on time from any of the three key neighbourhoods. The student photo ID allows students to access any Port Authority Transit vehicle.
To cater to your preferences, there are over 30 dining locations available on-campus and off-campus. You can select from various traditional and community meal plans to suit your budget. These include lean, healthy meals and vegetarian options, or pizzas, burgers, and kosher and halal dishes, there are options to suit every palate.
Additional benefits of studying at Department of Statistics
- Career Support: The university’s Career and Professional Development Centre offers guidance and support to help students secure internships and jobs that align with their interests, skills, and career goals. It also hosts multiple fairs and events and connects students to industry leaders in their field to capitalise on experiential learning opportunities. The student app, Handshake, helps students to land on-campus jobs, which is a good way for students to fund part of their programme. During your studies in the department, you can secure scholarships and teaching assistantships as well.
Local attractions: Your university ID give you access to a variety of tourist attractions, including museums.
Northeastern United States
Pittsburgh Airport (PIT)
Eastern Standard Time (GMT -4)
- The university has over 14,500 students from more than 100 countries
- Ranked #28 among all the universities in the world by Times Higher Education (2021)
- Ranked #20 among private universities in the U.S. by Times Higher Education (2021)
- More than 109,900 alumni members from over 140 countries
- University faculty and students have won prestigious awards such as the Nobel Prize and Turing Award
- Dietrich College students received 44 Fulbright scholarships
It is advisable to review the programme prerequisites for the Statistics and Data Science department before applying to ensure you have completed the necessary subjects in your Bachelor’s degree course.
Your application should ideally include the following types of information:
- Completed online application form
- 3 letters of recommendation (at least 2 from faculty)
- Statement of purpose
- GRE: Required (check with the department for minimum score)
- Unofficial transcripts from colleges and universities previously attended (in English translation as well as native language)
- Proof of English proficiency: You must obtain the minimum score in the following exams to be eligible- TOEFL: 105, IELTS: 9.
Fees and other expenses
Other costs that are not consistent throughout school admissions information online:
- Health insurance: $3,000
- Books and supplies: $2,500
- Food: $8,000
- Housing: $13,000
- Transportation: $2,000
- Student activities: $250
- Technology: $500
- Personal: $4,000
If you need more information on the admission process or financial assistance, please check the department’s website.
Exciting Job Placements: In the Statistics and Data Science department, over 90% of students secure employment or enrol in the PhD programme within 90 days of graduating. Ninety-six percent of students who completed their Master’s in 2021 either secured a job or went on to continue their education. The average starting salary was $100,360, while the median salary was $96,800. Graduates of the Statistics and Data Science department go on to work for the following companies: Bloomberg; Facebook, Goldman Sachs, Huawei, CVS Health, Microsoft; Target, Axis Group; Shopee, and Groupon. Students are hired for roles such as data analysts, data scientists, software engineers, programme managers, and quantitative researchers.
Supportive Career Training: The Career Services department assists students with everything from crafting resumes and cover letters, to conducting practice sessions to prepare for interviews. Recruiters from various companies, guest speakers, and professionals visit the campus to provide valuable professional insights.
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from Carnegie Mellon University - Department of Statistics
Last updated: 07 Dec 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to email@example.com.