School of International Service
Founded in 1957, American University’s School of International Service (SIS) has been consistently producing students of international affairs to “wage peace”, in response to 34th US President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s call to the nation during the Cold War.
The SIS curriculum covers advanced studies in areas of international politics, communication, development, economics, peace and conflict resolution, law and human rights, global environmental politics, and US foreign policy.
Foreign Policy magazine has consistently ranked SIS in the top 10 position for its graduate and undergraduate programmes in international relations.
SIS alumni include Pongpol Adireksarn (former deputy prime minister, Thailand), Sheik Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa (crown prince and prime minister, Bahrain), and Muriel Bowser (mayor, Washington DC).
The capital of the US, Washington DC is famous for national landmarks, memorials, and museums. Among the many things to explore, the White House and the seated statue of Abraham Lincoln are very popular, as is the food, art, and other cultural attractions.
What can you study at the American University - School of International Service?
You can choose the Master’s course of your choice from the list below:
- MA in International Affairs Policy and Analysis
- MA in Intercultural and International Communication
- MA in International Development
- MA in International Affairs: Global Governance, Politics, & Security
American University - School of International Service scholarships for international students
Exceptional Master's students with international backgrounds can be eligible for Graduate Merit
- Awards offered by their respective departments.
- These awards provide waivers that can range from 12 credits to covering the entire tuition expenses on an annual basis.
- Some departments may also offer stipends to recipients.
Individuals interested in applying for these awards are advised to directly contact the relevant departments for more detailed information and guidelines.
Washington, DC campus
Warm and humid summers and cold and snowy winters. The temperature typically averages between -2°C/29°F and 31°C/88°F
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA/KDCA)
Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -7)
Fast facts about the American University - School of International Service institution
- University enrolment numbers: 14,001
- Living alumni: 20,000+
- Master’s students: 2,943
- International students: 12-14%
- International grad students: 9%
- Countries represented: 134
American University - School of International Service job placement
- The placement rate stands at an impressive 92%.
- The University is committed to providing students with valuable internship experiences; over 91% of undergraduates and 56% of graduate students complete internships before graduation. Employers offer stimulating assignments to the students, providing them with tangible work samples and valuable experience.
- The University awards academic credit for internships and ensures they contribute to students' learning. Credit-bearing internships extend for at least 14 weeks. Workplace evaluations are significant, accounting for 25-50% of students' final grades.
- The ongoing partnership with micro-internships provider Parker Dewey has been helpful for students seeking professional development opportunities with various organisations. These short-term experiences allow students to acquire critical skills and gain practical experience to enhance their career prospects.
- Further, students with good academic standing can choose between an Independent Reading course, where they delve into a body of material with minimal formal instruction, and an Independent Research project, exploring a mutually agreed-upon topic with an instructor.
- SIS connects graduate and undergraduate students directly to internship opportunities with organisations abroad. SIS has established relationships with organisations worldwide, offering students the chance to intern through these esteemed partnerships.
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from American University - School of International Service
Last updated: 30 Nov 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to email@example.com.