UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
Francis King Carey School of Law
About the school
The University of Maryland - Francis King Carey School of Law was authorised by the Maryland legislature in 1813 and began regular instruction in 1824. It is one of the oldest law schools in the United States, but its innovative programmes make it one of the most dynamic today. Maryland Law stands among five other professional schools on the University of Maryland, Baltimore campus. It has several theoretical and practical law courses that will broaden the understanding of the legal profession and help students discover what types of law interests them.
The expert and experienced faculty at Francis King Carey School of Law helps students publish, teach, and work at the leading edge of the academy and the profession. The institute offers opportunities in a variety of disciplines, including Health Law, Dispute Resolution, Environmental Law, Business Law, Cybersecurity and Crisis Management, Intellectual Property, International and Comparative Law, and Women, Leadership, and Equality. Located in the country’s second largest legal market, externships and opportunities in private practice, government, non-profits, and NGOs are one of the key features of this institute.
Where is the school located?
The Francis King Carey School of Law campus is in Baltimore, Maryland. Here are some of the details of the campus:
Life at Francis King Carey School of Law
Students can indulge in scholarly research and write student journals. Maryland Carey Law is home to five student-edited scholarly journals that provide invaluable experience in legal writing, editing, and scholarship. To put theory into practice, competitive teams and clinical experiences provide opportunities for students to apply their skills in both hypothetical and real-world scenarios. Maryland Carey Law and the University of Maryland Baltimore offer the following services to support students throughout their academic career: academic services, legal writing services, and student services like change of information procedure, emergency loans, employment, lost IDs and replacement, parking, student suggestions, and complaints, student travel request form, and technology. Students can take part in over 40 student organizations that enrich student life at Maryland. The UMB Student Counseling Center provides short-term, professional counselling and psychiatric services to students. The Maryland Lawyer Assistance Programme offers free, confidential assistance to lawyers, judges, law students and their families
Additional benefits of studying at Francis King Carey School of Law
- Supportive Environment: The institute cares about students’ health and wellness as much as their academic success and will connect you with the resources you need to support both. UMB Campus Services includes counselling, Interprofessional Student Learning and Service Initiatives, Student Development and Leadership, Student Financial Assistance and Education, International Services, Housing, and UMB Campus Food Security.
- Convenient Housing Options: Maryland Carey Law is conveniently located in downtown Baltimore, providing students with access to a variety of housing and transportation options.
Baltimore, MD campus
Northern United States
Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
Eastern Time Zone (GMT -4)
- Maryland Carey Law's Clinical Law Programme is one of the region's largest public interest law firms.
- The institute ranks among the nation's top law school dispute-resolution programmes
- Maryland Carey Law tops rankings for women in new study
- Ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report, the Environmental Law Programme is one of the most extensive courses
Regardless of which degree you are pursuing, the admissions team at the University of Maryland - Francis King Carey School of Law guides students through the application process and answers any questions they may have along the way. Generally, to secure admission to the Francis King Carey School of Law, applications require the following: - Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university or expect to graduate during the current academic year. - A completed application submitted online through LSAC - Standardised Test Score: A valid score from either the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Test scores are valid for five years only. The ETS GRE school code for Maryland Carey Law is 5765. - Official graduate transcripts. - Two letters of recommendation. - Personal Statement - Resume/ CV - Optional Essay - Admissions Interview: The admissions committee at Maryland Carey Law may request to - interview applicants as part of the application review process and before issuing a decision - Applicants for whom English is a second language or not their primary language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Exciting Career Prospects: Employment data for the 2021 Graduating Class is as follows:
- 5th among 196 ABA-accredited law schools for the percentage of 2021 graduates obtaining judicial clerkships
- 95% of 2021 graduates were employed or pursuing another graduate degree within 10 months of graduation
- 97% of those 2021 graduates obtained employment in Bar Required and JD Advantage Jobs
- 2021 Bar Passage Rate - 85% MD bar passage rate for first-time takers (81% all-takers) compared to 79% statewide first-time takers (68% all-takers).
- Tailored Career Guidance: The Career Development Office (CDO) helps students explore career options and obtain legal experience leading to post-graduate employment. Other services are career counselling, externships, alumni mentorship, career fairs, post-graduate options, fellowships, judicial clerkships, interview and document preparation, career consortia, and on-campus interviews (OCI)
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from University of Maryland - Francis King Carey School of Law
Last updated: 22 Dec 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at email@example.com. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.