GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY
College of Science
About the school
Students looking to build promising careers in the scientific domain can enrol in science education programmes offered by the College of Science, George Mason University. The school fosters significant professional opportunities for students interested in the various fields of Science. There are 12 departments and units, including Atmospheric, Oceanic and Earth Sciences, Biology Department, Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience, and Physics and Astronomy Department, to name a few. George Mason University offers several majors, minors, and graduate programs.
Where is the school located?
The College of Science is located in Fairfax County, Virginia. The city is in close proximity to a number of large cities such as Washington, Baltimore, and Philadelphia.
Life at College of Science
Since the College of Science is integrated within the larger institution of George Mason University, students will find ample opportunities beyond classroom learning to grow holistically, make friends, and widen their professional network. The university has 500+ clubs and student organisations, some of which include Mason Science Community, Patriot Activities Council, Club Field Hockey, Club Baseball, and Community Gathering Spaces, to name a few. Within the walls of the school stands the George Mason University bookstore where you can find unique gifts, school supplies, computers, electronics, décor, and books. Additionally, Mason University's official computer retail store, Patriot Tech, sells computer supplies, accessories and provides repair services.
Additional benefits of studying at College of Science
- Extensive Dining Selection: The campus has more than 30 dining locations, some of which are open 24 hours and offer a variety of cuisines so you never go hungry. You can also find various restaurants, from Starbucks to Blaze Pizza, The Halal Guys to Chick-fil-A.
Convenient Student Transportation: To get around the city, you can hitch a ride on the Mason shuttles, free of cost, with your Mason student I.D. You can take it to the Metro, Fair Lakes Center, Fairfax Corner, Fair Oaks Mall, University Mall, and Mason's Science and Technology Campus in Prince William County.
Vibrant On-campus Activities: You can also experience several annual university events to share experiences and broaden your horizons.
Fairfax County, Virginia
Southeastern United States
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
Eastern Standard Time (GMT-4)
- Mason University is ranked as one of the Top 100 Best Values in Public College on its national list
- 350+ student organisations on campus
- Ranks 119th among best biological sciences programmes in the US as per U.S. News & World Report
- Has 10 graduate programs in the top 30 among public institutions, according to 2023 rankings from the U.S. News & World Report
The College of Science accepts applications for both spring and fall intake. Since the school offers various programmes, it is best to look for the most up-to-date and detailed information on eligibility and prerequisites for your chosen programme. The university also provides fully and hybrid online programs.
Generally, all applicants will need to submit the following documents to meet the eligibility criteria for admission:
- Online application with an application fee of $75 (some applicants may be eligible for a fee waiver)
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field.
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 GPA on a 4.00 scale or better in your baccalaureate study
- Official college transcripts
- Goals statement
- Resume/ CV
- Letters of recommendation (2-3 depending on the programme) -GRE scores (if applicable as per the chosen programme)
Please consult the school's admissions and financial aid websites for detailed information and any updates to this information.
Internationally-educated students must submit additional requirements to complete a graduate studies application:
- Proof of English proficiency: You must obtain the minimum score in the following exams to be eligible- TOEFL Internet-Based exam: 88 and 20 each subsection, IELTS: 7.0 and 6.5 each subsection, Duolingo: 120, and Pearson Test of Academic English: 67.
- Exceptions for English Proficiency Test: Some students may also be eligible for a waiver of the English language proficiency test requirement if they meet specific criteria mentioned on the school website. International students from countries such as Australia, Bahamas, Ghana, the United Kingdom, Zambia, and some others do not need to submit English language proficiency test scores.
- Transcript evaluation from a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency.
You can check the school website for detailed information and the minimum scores required, if applicable.
Comprehensive Career Resouces: Students studying at the College of Science have access to a variety of resources to support them securing jobs after graduation. Up to 89% of employed students from George Mason University are in positions related to their career goals.
Extensive Career Services: The school's commitment to career development is evident with the Career Services department which provides job search resources, career advice and helps with interview preparation. There is also individualised assistance available to students and alumni, to help them explore career and internship opportunities and define their career goals.
Exciting Career Events: The university hosts career fairs and networking events throughout the year, providing students with opportunities to meet with employers and learn about job openings.
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from George Mason University - College of Science
Last updated: 11 Oct 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at email@example.com. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.