BINGHAMTON UNIVERSITY - SUNY
Harpur College of Arts and Sciences
About the school
The Harpur College of Arts and Sciences, previously known as the Triple Cities College, is a public school that is a part of Binghamton University. It later joined the State University of New York system in 1950. It was then one of the two colleges offering education in liberal arts.
Today, the college holds a legacy of more than 70 years and has been successful in imparting world-class education with the strongest research programmes in the United States. The college offers more than 60 programmes spread across humanities, social science, natural sciences, and performing arts. The school offers a holistic environment with a rich diversity of students from across the globe.
Where is the school located?
The Harpur College of Arts and Sciences is located in the city of Binghamton in New York. The city is surrounded by rolling hills in the southern tier region close to the Pennsylvania region.
Life at Harpur College of Arts and Sciences
Binghamton University has a vibrant and tobacco-free campus furnished with state-of-art facilities to ensure students have the best experience at the school. The campus houses six residential communities, namely the College-in-the Woods, Dickcons Community, Hinman College, Mountainview College, Newing College, and the Apartments Community. Each of these communities has its own culture, dining halls, student body, and other recreational facilities, including gyms and volleyball courts. Students can choose from more than 300 student-led clubs available.
Binghamton University has 190 acres of protected forest, six ponds, and 11 miles of hiking and running trails. The university prioritises students’ health and wellness and provides access to a wellness suite that offers massage, energy treatments, and nutrition counselling. For those who are more athletically inclined, FitSpace, a 10,000 square-foot fitness centre is equipped with a wide range of fitness equipment.
The Anderson Centre for Performing Arts, Arts Museum, Museum, Music and Theatre hosts several pop and rock concerts, opera, ballet, and international theatre for the students. The university strives to provide an inclusive environment where students from different cultures and backgrounds feel valued.
Additional benefits of studying at Harpur College of Arts and Sciences
Studying at Binghamton University's Harpur College of Arts and Sciences offers numerous advantages beyond quality education and active campus life.
Scholarship Opportunities: The college provides competitive scholarships and financial aid to ease costs, including prestigious four-year scholarships based on academic achievements.
High-quality Research: The college's research-focused environment encourages students to engage in cutting-edge projects across diverse fields, fostering mentorship, grants, and opportunities to present findings.
Strong Alumni Networks: The college boasts a robust global alumni network, offering connections, advice, and event participation, bolstered by the Alumni Association's activities and directory access.
Binghamton, NY campus
Binghamton, New York
Northeastern United States
Humid Continental Climate
Greater Binghamton Airport (BGM)
Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5)
- 700+ research opportunities across 19 organised research centres and 4 federally designated research centres
- Won 8 U.S. national Awards for internationalising the campus and its coursework
- A global network of 125,000 alumni
- Ranked 34 among the Top Public Schools in the US by the U.S. News & World Report, 2021
- One of 146 institutions to be ranked R1 "very high research" institution by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
While applying to a graduate programme at the Harpur College of Arts and Sciences, it is essential to possess an undergraduate degree from a national or internationally recognised institute, or you must be in the final year of the degree. In addition to this, you must fulfil the following criteria:
- Resume or CV
- A personal statement of 2 to 3 pages
- GPA Requirement: You must have a 3.0 GPA over the entire undergraduate degree or during the 60-semester credits or 90 quarter credits of your undergraduate degree
- You must provide the original transcript to the college at the time of admission
- All graduate programmes require two letters of recommendation. A third letter may be required for certain courses
- GRE/GMAT Scores - Certain courses may require GRE/GMAT scores.
- Letters of recommendation: Two letter of recommendation are required
- Certain courses, such as theatre, cinema, etc., may also require a portfolio
International students should also submit the following documents:
- Transcripts: For international students all transcripts submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions must be officially translated into English for review
- International Student Financial Statement (ISFS) form
- Supporting Financial Documents such as scholarships, bank statements, and sponsor letters
- International students must submit a language test score to certify their English proficiency:
- You must obtain the minimum score in the following exams to be eligible- TOEFL Essentials: 9, TOEFL Internet-Based exam: 80, IELTS: 6.5 (with no band below 5.0.), Duolingo: 105, and Pearson PTE Academic: 53. Exceptions may apply.
For more information and any revisions to this information, please visit the school's admissions and financial assistance websites.
Binghamton University works alongside students to shape their careers to the fullest potential.
Access to Career Support: The university’s career centres and academic departments support students by offering various internship opportunities to turn graduates into distinguished and successful leaders.
College Credit: The Fleishman Center's Academic Internship Programme, the University's biggest internship programme, allows students to earn credit while making the most of their internship experience. Each year, over 1,000 students gain credit by engaging in internships on a local, national, or worldwide level. Besides this, the college also offers 50 educational exchange programmes.
In-demand Graduates: Due to the school's emphasis on career development, more than 1,800 employers recruit from the university every year. Some of the top companies that recruit from the campus include Google, Microsoft, IBM, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Ernst & Young, PwC, KPMG, Coca-Cola, Deloitte, Tata, and Baidu. The average starting salary stands at $72 438.
Prodigy Finance offers borderless financing to international students. There is no need to provide guarantors, collateral, or cosigners. Furthermore, there are no hidden fees! Our loan facilities include no penalties for early repayment and a 6-month grace period after graduating from full-time study.
Realise your dream with a Masters programme from Binghamton University - SUNY - Harpur College of Arts and Sciences
Last updated: 11 Oct 2023
The purpose of this page is to provide prospective students with basic information about the school and a selection of Courses offered by the school. Whilst we have carefully compiled the overview, Prodigy Finance does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies mistakes, omisions or outdated information in the guide and we encourage prospective students and other readers to consult with the schools's website for further information. Prodigy Finance does not have any affiliation or contractual arrangement with the school. If you are a student and need more information about applying for a loan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other other queries about this page can be sent to email@example.com.